Pexels - Food banner image

Food Safety

Food Safety for businesses operating within the Mackenzie District, and related legislation.

Food Safety

Premises involved in the manufacturer, preparation, storage or sale of food within the Mackenzie District abide by guidelines set out in The Food Act 2014.

The Food Act 2014 recognises that each business is different, providing a structure where food safety issues are able to be dealt with in ways best suiting the business. It promotes food safety by focusing on the processes of food production, rather than the premises where food is made.

The Food Act 2014 came into force on 1 March 2016.

The Act places a responsibility on food business operators to ensure that the food they sell is safe and suitable to eat.

In summary safe and suitable means that:

  • 'Safe food' won't make people sick
  • 'Suitable' food' meets compositional, labelling and identification requirements and is in the right condition for its intended use.

New food safety measures have been introduced that promote food safety by focusing on the processes of food production, not the premises where food is made.

Businesses that are higher risk, from a food safety point of view, will operate under more stringent food safety requirements and checks than lower-risk food businesses. The new food safety measures are:

Council will continue to be a regulatory authority so will continue to issue registrations for food businesses and will also perform food safety verification.

Information about the updated food rules is on the MPI website.

Mobile Shop, according to the Mackenzie District Council Mobile Shops and Traders Bylaw 2021, means ‘any stand, stall, structure, vehicle, awning, or table from which goods are offered for the distribution of sale’.

It does not include any vehicle:

  • from which food is sold for consumption in or at the vehicle; or
  • used for the purpose of transporting and delivering (ordered) goods

Operating a Mobile Food Premise

For advice on operating a mobile food premise, please contact the Council before proceeding.

An operator needs to comply with all relevant legislation. You must apply to the Planning Department for a public place trader licence should you wish to trade in a public place or street that is under council control.

Application for a Mobile Shop and Traders License

Council has designated trading sites within the Mackenzie District for Mobile Trading. There are sites in Fairlie, Lake Tekapo, and Twizel. The number of licenses issued for each site is limited and licenses for sites are issued separately. Please see the Mackenzie District Council Mobile Shops and Traders Bylaw 2021 for more information.

Fill in the form below to apply for a Mobile Shop and Traders License for once of the Council’s designated Mobile Trading Sites. Alternatively, download the form and email your completed form to along with the necessary supporting documents.

Please refer to Selling food - Businesses for guidance on registering a food business under the Food Act 2014, and the Mackenzie District Council Mobile Shops and Traders Bylaw 2021.

Our default method of corresponding with you is by email and phone. Alternatively, if you wish to receive correspondence by post (including any decision) please provide a postal address and tick the relevant box below.

There is no fee for this application. If your application for a Mobile Shop and Traders License is successful you will be invoiced for each approved Mobile Trading Site. The license fee is required to be paid prior to the issuing of a license.


The Food Act 2014 allows a person or a group to trade in food for the sole purpose of raising money for a charitable, benevolent, philanthropic, or cultural purpose for up to 20 occasions in any calendar year.

Food for sale needs to be safe and suitable and all food must be sourced from registered food premises.

Food Festivals

Food festival processes are currently under review, and will be made available once finalised.

Food Trading: Once a Year

There is an allowance to enable people to trade in food once per calendar year who do not ordinarily trade in food. Examples of this include:

Examples include but are not limited to:

  • A family with a food stall at an annual cultural festival:
  • Food provided at a home garage sale.

For further guidance and information, please see the MPI website.

Home kill is the slaughtering and butchering of your own animal, either by yourself or by a listed home kill and recreational catch service provider, for your own use and consumption. Home kill cannot be traded. Those who consume home kill or recreational catch product do so at their own risk. As home kill and recreational catch meat has not been subject to any hygiene or processing standards or control, or any assessment (e.g. ante- or post-mortem inspection), no assurances can be given on its fitness for consumption.

Can you feed home kill meat to paying guests?

Those who supply a meal as part of a tourist package including farm-stays, hunting lodges, or tourist barbecues, cannot use home kill product as part of the food provided to their customers.

Paying guests also include those who pay board, fees or other forms of payment as part of an accommodation package. Institutions such as boarding schools, universities, hospitals and prisons cannot serve home kill and must provide inspected meat from a regulated source.

Can you supply home kill meat as a prize (e.g. in a raffle)?

Home kill product is for the use or consumption of the animal owner including his or her family or household and must not be traded (includes barter, supply as part of a service, public prize or reward etc).

What is allowed for home kill?

The requirements for home kill activity are set out in Section 67 of the Animal Products Act:

  • Those who can home kill are animal owners who are actively engaged in the day-to-day maintenance of the animal, or animals of the same kind, for a period of at least 28 days.
  • Such owners may kill and process the animal themselves on their own property (includes property leased, or where there is other legal right to occupy or use the property), or they may have the animal killed or processed by a listed home kill or recreational catch service provider on the service provider's premises or place or the animal owner's own property.
  • Home kill product is for the use or consumption of the animal owner including his or her family1 or household2 and must not be traded3 (includes barter, supply as part of a service, public prize or reward etc).

A farmer may supply home kill product to an employee of the farmer who is employed in an ongoing manner in the farmer's daily farming operations, for the use or consumption of that employee (including his or her family or household).

The parts of the home kill animal that are not for human or animal consumption (such as the hide, skin, horns, antlers) may be traded and waste material may be sold to a render.

The Animal Products Act also allows animals to be killed for humane reasons at a location other than the animal owner's own property or a listed service provider's premises or place, or by a person other than the owner or a listed service provider.

1. A family is anyone who can claim direct family lineage e.g. children, parents, grandparents. It is not intended to include extended family living elsewhere.

2. A household is defined as the occupants of a house or similar, residential unit, but does not include an institution.

3. Section 4 of the Animal Products Act defines trade.

DisclaimerThis information is not a legal interpretation of the Animal Products Act or the Animal Products (Ancillary and Transitional Provisions) Act and is intended only as a guide.

Application for a Mobile Shop and Traders License

Apply for a Mobile Shop and Traders License for within the Mackenzie District.

Fees and Charges

Costs related to food safety, registration and compliance in the Mackenzie District.