The triennial local body elections are taking place in 2022.
|3 councillors to represent the Opuha Ward|
|3 councillors to represent the Pukaki Ward|
|1 councillor to represent the Tekapo Ward|
|4 members to represent the Fairlie Community Board|
|4 members to represent the Tekapo Community Board|
|4 members to represent the Twizel Community Board|
|2 members to represent the South Canterbury/Ōtuhituhi Constituency of the Canterbury Regional Council (ECan)|
|From 13 July||Elections will be advertised and nominations called.|
|15 July||Candidate nominations open.|
|12 August||Candidate nominations close at 12 noon|
|17 August||Candidates announced|
|12 September 2022||Final Electoral roll certified by electoral officer|
|16 – 21 September 2022||Voter packs mailed to electors. Voting opens.|
|16 September – 8 October 2022||Voting opens|
|8 October||Voting closes at midday.|
|8 October||Progress and preliminary results published|
|14 – 19 October 2022||Final results announced|
- Pre-election Report - Mackenzie Local Elections 2022 PDF, 1001.64 KB
- Mackenzie District Council - Candidate Handbook PDF, 2965.08 KB
- Local Government Commission - Mana Kāwanatanga ā Rohe - Determination on a decision of the Mackenzie District Council to adopt representation arrangements for the local authority elections to be held on 8 October 2022 PDF, 951.7 KB
- Mackenzie District Council - Notice of 2022 Triennial Local Authority Elections PDF, 170.39 KB
- Councillor Induction Pack 2022 - Elected Member Induction Programme PDF, 371.63 KB
If you live in one district and pay rates in another district you may be eligible to join the ratepayers’ electoral roll.
The Local Electoral (Advertising) Amendment Bill has been introduced into parliament and is expected to be enacted in July 2022. If enacted, that legislation will allow the address requirements of an advertisement authorisation statement to be met by providing—
- a residential or business address; or
- an email address; or
- a post office box number; or
- a phone number; or
- a link to a page on an Internet site (if the page contains 1 or more of the above).
The requirement to list the authorising party remains. There must be a reasonable expectation that anyone wishing to discuss the advertising can do so with the candidate or their agent from the contact details listed in the authorisation statement. The use of a council building address is not permitted in the authorisation address.
Learn about standing for election in the Mackenzie District. This webinar consists of two parts:
- 0.00 - Deputy Mayor James Leslie speaks about standing for council.
- 11.33 - Deputy electoral officer Arlene Goss outlines the vacancies available and how to lodge a nomination.
Nominations have closed for the 2022 triennial local authority elections. Forms can be downloaded below or printed copies are available from the council offices in Twizel and Fairlie.
- Nomination Form – Mayor - PDF, 167.25 KB
- Nomination Form – Ward councillor - PDF, 169.38 KB
- Nomination Form – Community Board member - PDF, 167.71 KB
- Candidate Handbook - PDF, 2965.08 KB
- Pre-Election Report - PDF, 1001.64 KB
If you have any questions or need help with your enrolment form, contact Deputy Electoral Officer Arlene Goss on firstname.lastname@example.org, ph 03 685 9010.
Mayoralty (1 Vacancy)
Pukaki Ward (3 Vacancies)
|Bellringer, Kerry Athol (Independent)|
|Cole, Zhivannah (Independent)|
Opuha Ward (3 Vacancies)
Tekapo Ward (1 Vacancy)
Twizel Community Board (4 Vacancies)
Fairlie Community Board (4 Vacancies)
|Abbott, Simon (Independent)|
|Eades, Mark (Independent)|
|Payne, Jodi (Independent)|
Tekapo Community Board (4 Vacancies)
If you are enrolled as a parliamentary elector you will automatically be placed on council’s electoral roll as a residential elector. If you need to enrol or update existing name or address details on the parliamentary electoral roll, you can do so online at vote.nz or by phoning 0800 36 76 56.
- 15/9/2022 - Voting Packs distributed across the Mackenzie District
- 7/9/2022 - Mackenzie District Council - Further Notice of Election and Declaration of Elected Candidates
- 25/8/2022 - Meet the Candidates
- 12/8/2022 - Candidate nominations closed
- 26/7/2022 - Greater access for rural voters
- 14/7/2022 - Notice of 2022 Triennial Local Authority Elections