Here, in Te Manahuna, we're driven by a collective kaupapa (purpose) to protect te pō (dark sky), preserve whenua (land) and kotahitaka (unity).
Matariki, the Māori new year, is an opportunity for all to gather together and reflect on the year that has passed, celebrate the present, and plan for the future. It is a time to pause, to connect, and to consider our responsibility to our environment.
Join us for kai, culture and kōrero as we celebrate the rising of Matariki under the cloak of the world's largest gold dark sky reserve.
Matariki Events - Tekapo
- Matariki Ahuka Nui – Guided Matariki Observation
- Matariki Market
- Café Reo
- UC presents open day at Ōtehīwai Mount John
Registrations are required for the following events:
- Feast Matariki cooking demonstrations
- Tangata Ngāi Tahu – People of Ngāi Tahu
- A Waka of Stars: Robert Sullivan
- Potiki Poi
Discover more about Matariki Mackenzie, and events at matarikimackenzie.co.nz